Monday, December 8, 2008

Can I put those points into shooting please?

As most of you know, I've spent my weekends being a terrible tourist here in California. However, rather than spend my weekday evenings like a terrible business traveller getting drunk in my hotel room/at the hotel bar, I've been pootling down to the local Games Workshop at Stoneridge Mall in Pleasanton. By pure coincidence, this is a five minute walk from my hotel. The staff there are a great bunch of guys, with manager Greg, and Eric, Kev and Chase. Basically, all GW's around the world are pretty much the same, same layout, same stock, same kind of people frequenting them, same quotes being bandied about. The only difference is the accents. Or as Eric put it (referring to the staff's love of Monty Python and Eddie Izzard), "It's either British accents or bad British accents".

Anyway, as it turns out, staff member Kev, who I got on really well with, is a former US Marine. Also, one of his roles was as rifle and pistol instructor. On hearing that I'd never fired a hand gun, he offered to take me to the local range and "Teach me how to shoot like a marine". How could I pass that up?


So we went to 'TargetMasters' (wow, the Transformers references are coming almost one a post) shooting range in Milpitas and Kev picked a .357 Magnum (yes, the Dirty Harry one) and off we went. Apparently I did pretty good for a beginner.



It was all very GURPS - how can I up my gun skill? You mean I can't live in a skip filled with guns? Ooh, tenuous method that's allowed! Now I know what it's like being Bob's character in an RPG.

5 comments:

Ben said...

There is a sign in the background saying "No Headshots".

That is all.

The Pixie said...

Never share this information with Bob... it will only up his desire to own a large caliber death canon... and we all know where that will lead...

Killing rampage!

Marianne said...

I've never been scared of you, until now.

Matt said...

I've always said that even given the opportunity to own one, I probably wouldn't. After that, I definitely wouldn't. I mean, they are kinda cool... but also kinda scary.

The Jolly Blogger said...

I've always said guns are cool and Ben has always shook his head and said something patronising. Now someone else has experienced the homicidal joy which is blazing away with a gun I feel I'm not alone.

Guns are cool. FACT CONFIRMED